Thursday, October 7, 2010

DELIGHT

Psalm 147:10 & 11
"His pleasure in not in the strength of the horse, nor His delight in the legs of a man; 
the LORD delights in those who fear Him, who put their hope in His unfailing love."

I have been thinking about this passage lately. It incites joy and encouragement for me to imagine the Lord being delighted by me, His daughter, simply putting my hope in Him. To think that I can bring God joy? I am reminded of the verse in Zephaniah (v.17) that says "He will rejoice over you with singing". WHAT?! Over me? I am a people pleaser, so to be able to please God by trusting in His promises, to know that He delights in me...well that is the ultimate best. John Piper talks about that verse in Zephaniah and compares it to when Jesus says "There is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance." (Luke 15:7) It also communicates just how much God cares for us. And not the kind of caring from far off, just sitting on His throne proud of what He has made. But caring about each individual child of His and desiring life and salvation for them. He loves us more than the most beautiful mountain He crafted, or a glorious sunset He paints, or the fiercest ocean He filled. 
One of my housemates and I were discussing how we were created to be satisfied by God. And isn't it wonderful that He know everything else can and will fail us, but thankfully HE is our sustenance and He offers Himself to us constantly.

What a wonderful God who takes pleasure in my love. It is astounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment